Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Real Beauty.

I often pray for my children and think about their futures. 


I dream about what their personalities will be, their interests and who they will choose to spend forever with. I pray for their friends and positive influences.  Against, peer pressure and bullies. I think about a lot, what parent doesn't? I think about a lot of things that really don't matter right now and won't for a while. 



But, one thing I find myself thinking about often is, how they will view themselves. Especially, Madelyn. I think girls battle self worth more than boys. So many young girls let their peers define them. They allow society to mold them into what "beauty" is. They will alter who they are to fit in with people they want to be. I can say I struggled with those areas growing up. High school is a tough environment, I don't care who you are. It's an awkward stage. 



A few weeks ago, I watched a video that Jodi, a friend/family/fellow blogger shared. She's a great gal and you can read her awesome, real writings, here. I have since seen it many other places. You may have already caught a glimpse of it. If not, here you go. It will bless you.


Really makes you think, right? It's real. And it's reality for most of us. Even as adults. After watching it, I thought about my girl and the journey that is ahead of her. A journey filled with a corrupt view of beauty that our society portrays to us as such. I want more for her. I want confidence. I want purity. I want strength. I don't want the opinion of herself to be written out for her by her peers. I want her to see herself, how God sees her. As a daughter of The King. A treasure. Beautiful. A masterpiece. 


Along side of their peers, daughters watch their mamas. I want to be a Godly example for my girl. How will she view herself as beautiful and walk in confidence if she hears me constantly tear myself down with criticism? Don't get me wrong, every one has things about themselves they wouldn't mind changing. I get that and I'll be the first to admit it. But, I want to help her to focus on the things that are great. Because, there are great things. Why put so much focus on the others?

3 comments:

  1. I love, LOVE the words you wrote. So encouraging and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister......you are a wonderful example for Madelyn and Landon. I often tell people that I have never heard you speak negatively about someone....you always find the good in people. I admire you and your Godly ways. Both Madelyn and Landon are super lucky to have you as their mama...and me as their Teetsie :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - LOVE what you wrote! Everyone should be free to be their own person... regretfully, society doesn't accept everyone as they are! So kids try to mold themselves into something there not-just to fit in?! Kids should be kids for as long as possible!
    Some tough decisions to make, discipline, worry, food choices, schooling, and even more intense choices that can leave even the ‘best’ of parents lying awake into the early morning hours trying to figure it all out!

    Even now... everything they do, will practically blow your mind. You'll be taken a back when with what they say and do… "Where did you hear that?" or "Where did you learn that?" or "WOW, look what he or she can do?" Oh, the joys of parenting! So rewarding!!! :-)

    You and Ryan are loving and nurturing parents, with tremendous faith! You're great teachers, and will guide them every step of the way! Dad and I are so proud of you, and we so LOVE our Grand-babies!
    So enjoying this chapter in our life! xoxo

    ReplyDelete