Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: Give Thanks Jar

Holy toledo it has been a long...long couple weeks with this move. I've decided I don't like moving! It was fun for the first few days but now I am officially over it. I'm done! We are almost finished painting and have all our furniture in the house. All that is left now is to clean, unload boxes, organize, decorate, and get the yard fixed up. Sigh. That list just gave me anxiety. Ever had 500 things to do and no idea where to begin?...yeah, that's this girl right now. I'm running out of petrol oh and did I mention I don't like moving?

Ok, enough of that...I do see a light at the end of this long, very long tunnel. The end is near. Thank you Jesus! It will all pay off in the end and I am really looking forward to it. I apologize for all that... I feel better now. Really I do.



Now on to the tutorial...I can't take the credit for this one. My cousin Christine thought of it and I ran with it! : ) Since the tutorial I had in mind for this week didn't work out, I decided to go with the Give Thanks Jar. You can make it as simple or as detailed as you'd like. Here's what you'll need...



  1. 1- Mason jar (any size, the bigger the family you have-the bigger the jar you'll want)

  2. Ribbon or fabric for the bow

  3. Fabric or Paper for Give Thanks sign

  4. Scissors

  5. Hot glue

  6. Artificial leaves (optional)

  7. Embroidery floss or yarn

  8. Different colors of paper/card stock


First, you will cut out the fabric to the size you want for the front of your jar. I did 2 layers (and used an old shirt as my fabric). I also cut a third layer to glue to the back of the front two layers. I'll tell you why in a minute...

Second, stitch the words "Give Thanks" on your fabric. Then use the 3rd layer of fabric to glue to the back of the stitched pieces of fabric so you won't see the stitching on the back through the opposite side of the jar. (it's optional, not necessary)

Another option: You can always use paper and print out the saying on card stock and glue it to the jar as well or give your kids construction paper and some markers to go to town making their own.

Third, hot glue your "Give Thanks" sign to your jar.

Fourth, tie ribbon or fabric around the neck of the jar to spice it up a little and add artificial fall leaves to the bottom of the jar.

Set your Give Thanks Jar out on the table along with a pen and small paper/card stock squares, encourage your family & friends to write a thing or two that they are thankful for and pop 'em in the jar as they pass by. Then, read them at the table on Thanksgiving!



There is so much we are thankful that we hardly think about. These is great for kids as well as us adults that get stuck in the business of life and forget to thank God for all we are blessed with. Kids will have a ball decorating their very own Give Thanks Jar and sharing all they are thankful for with the family!



Have a great Tuesday and don't forget to take a minute to think about all your blessed with and give a little thanks!

~Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment